Tuesday, January 24, 2006

naked fruit!

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galations 5:22-23

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
Colossians 3:12

I've been reading the book "Naked Fruit" by Elisa, the leader of MOPS International and she talks about what different fruit looks like. Think of fruit... a peach, a pear, a pineapple, an orange, grapes, starfruit, kiwi, strawberries, an apple, a plum... each of these are so different and yet the same. Each has a peel of somesort or outside covering with a sweet inside. Just like these fruits are the qualities that we develop in our lives. Think about your friends... the ones your really see Jesus in. Do they all show the same fruit? No, maybe one friend is a grape while another friend is more like a pineapple. So in our lives... why do we try to mimick people that we look up to for our Christianity? Why don't we just go to the source Himself and allow Him to develop us into the sort of fruit He decides that we should be? I may not be a Mother-Theresa plum or a Rebecca St. James starfruit, but I sure can be a Kara Burkey kiwi if I just allow Him to develop character traits such as love, joy, peace, patience, and self-control in my life.


by the way... I'M GOING TO OKLAHOMA IN TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!! whoopie!!! abe, mallory, tommy, ok city... HERE I COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Kara, I love what you wrote here! Too many times I want to be some other kind of fruit when God really just wants me to be the unique fruit He's created me to be! I love you my fruity friend! :o)