Let your enthusiastic idea at the start be equalled by your realistic action now.
-2 Corinthians 8:11b
I've never run a complete mile on our track before and not stopped at all. Tonight I decided to do it. I started out by the Warming House and I went left instead of right, also the first time I've ever done that before, and I ran the entire track. As I turned the corner to run the second to last long stretch the wind was blowing so hard in my face it hurt to keep running into it. But I didn't want to stop. As I turned the next corner, the wind died down and just felt good, but my legs hurt and I kept thinking... wow it would be sooo easy to just walk for a little while. And then I started thinking about how this last stretch... really the fourth long stretch... is like this last year I'm getting ready to jog through at Olivet. I started my first year excited... with the verse above as my theme for college... and I've done well I think, kept jogging... especially those first two years. This past year was really strained, hard, like the wind just pushing me to turn around and go the other way. I stretched myself thin by being so involved in so many activities, almost completely burned myself out, and ruined a few relationships in the process. I went to Egypt, Grandma died, and I learned so much about faith and God. There were so many times that I wanted to stop, even tried to, and I longed to turn around... but I didn't. Here I am... rounding the corner of my last stretch, and can I just make a confession to you? It's hard. I'm scared. I hurt and I'd really like to just stop and walk for a while... not face the reality of what is about to come. But I can't do that! Tonight it felt SOO good to not stop at all but finish the entire mile... to end as enthusiastically as I started... worn down a little and panting, but with a big smile on my face. I'm not sure what this next year has in store for me... but I just decided tonight that I'm not gonna stop and walk for a while. I don't know how to handle it all or where God wants to use me specifically this next year, but as I am faithful to him and just keep going... he promises that he'll strengthen my feeble arms and weak knees. He gives strength to the weary and makes those that wait on him to soar on wings like eagles and not grow faint. So here I go... on into this senior lap, this final stretch... ready to keep running no matter what and to let my enthusiastic idea at the start be equalled by my realistic action now.
1 comment:
Perseverance is something Paul continually talks about in his letters. I've always wondered why he placed such a high emphasis on "running the whole mile", but as I grow up a bit my maturity grows and I start to understand what it means to persevere. Great article
Post a Comment